Life insurance coverage provides your spouse and family with peace of mind, by giving them the financial options to help make important and often difficult decisions during a very stressful time.
Types of life insurance
Life insurance comes in two basic options: Term and Permanent. Both are great choices for protecting you and your family, but each one has different features:
- Term life insurance Lower-cost insurance that provides coverage for a set time period, and provides a tax-free payout to the beneficiary. The cost of the insurance goes up each time you renew, but you can convert the policy to permanent life insurance at any time.
- Permanent life insurance Variable cost insurance with payment options that differ depending on your preferences. Coverage is guaranteed for life1, and you can also access the cash value of your life insurance policy by taking out a loan or withdrawing cash.
Things to keep in mind
There’s always a financial impact whenever someone passes away, and the payable benefits from a life insurance policy can help your loved ones cover unexpected expenses such as:
- Funeral costs
- Travel expenses to bring the family together
- Replacing lost income and health benefits
- Childcare and education costs
- House expenses
- Estate and legal fees
- Final income taxes
- Outstanding debts and bill payments
What Kind of Insurance Do You Need?
Protect your loved ones and your assets by getting the right coverage.
Combating Cancer with Critical...
Cancer isn't just physically and emotionally draining, it’s tough on the finances, too....
Passing on the Family Cottage
If you wish to leave your cottage to your children, plan ahead to get everyone on board and...
What Happens When Health Insurance Ends?
Extended health coverage goes away when you leave your job. Here’s how to adapt.
1 Your coverage is guaranteed as long as you make required payments (called premiums) and you haven’t changed your policy – for instance, added coverage or benefits, taken out a policy loan or made a withdrawal.
2 Insurance contract requirements apply. Additional payments are subject to tax limits.
Insurance products and services distributed through I.G. Insurance Services Inc. (in Québec, a Financial Services Firm). Insurance license sponsored by The Great-West Life Assurance Company (outside of Québec).